Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hi, I'm Holly. And I have Borderline Personality Disorder.

Okay, so my name isn't Holly. But I do have Borderline Personality Disorder. I'm also battling depression, and I have anxiety attacks on a daily basis that stem from my BPD issues.

I've always loved writing, and since I was ten years old I kept a diary. Looking back at the first page of my first diary, I realize that, deep down, I always knew I had BPD. My ten year-old self wrote, "I have so much hatred, and I need to get it out. So I bought this diary...". I'm sad for my ten year-old self...at that age, a child should be innocent and ignorant to the pains of reality.

But... "Unhappiness does not come from the way things are, but from the difference between how things are and how we think they should be" -Creflo Dollar

Back to writing though...

So here I am, ten years after putting a pen to my first diary, writing this blog. A part of it is for the same therapeutic reasons I've always had; but also for a bigger reason. For a long time I didn't know what was going on inside of me. Emotions came and went, my life would have extreme highs and even lower lows. I kept running away from something, anything...and then one day, I figured out what I was running away from: myself. The awareness of the monster, of the darkness, of the borderline, inside of me is terrifying. There is nothing more painful than knowing that something is creeping inside of you, seeping through your good intentions and spoiling your hopes and dreams. And at times, at those darkest times, it feels as if nothing can stop the monster.

I honestly don't know if anything can stop that monster, but every day I fight that monster, I fight to be better. Objectively, I know that I'm a good person. But the borderline inside of me is like a separate part of me, a part of me that seeps into every thought and action without being invited. And the borderline tells me I'm worthless, a failure, disgusting, and hopeless. And the borderline has eyes--my mother eye's, filled with hatred and disgust for me, for ten year-old me.

I have moments where I can feel my "true self" rising above, surfacing above the violent, raging waters. But when I surface I hardly have time to gasp for air before I'm pulled down again, down into the darkness and despair of BPD.

It is in having these juxtaposing experiences, though, that I am able to work on separating myself from the monster. I do not hate myself, even though sometimes I feel like I do. In reality, I hate the borderline voice permeating into my life uninvited.

I feel like I have been awakened, and its like I opened my eyes under the dark waters of BPD and Depression, seeing things that people don't often see or cannot communicate to the rest of the world. There are people in my life who just don't understand Depression or a Personality Disorder like BPD...I somehow got lucky enough to have two of the disorders that are most stigmatized and that people are most ignorant to. And it hurts SO much to have this...it only perpetuates the issue. I cannot stand being judged, I NEED validation, and all I want is acceptance and unconditional love. Needless to say, people thinking I'm a screw up, crazy, emo, ect. does NOT help.

And I know there are more people like me out there. And we need each other, and we need the people in our lives to understand, or at least seek to understand. So I'm putting my heart and soul (just not my name) out there, in hopes that this blog will become a window for SOMEONE to see into a world that is misunderstood and stigmatized. Or maybe it'll be a window into a world that you're living in. I want to help people with BPD, people who are suffering Depression, and people who know other BPD/Depressed people.

Saying "Don't worry about what other people think" to someone with BPD is like telling someone with an Anxiety Disorder, "Don't worry!". But for some reason, when I try to tell people this, they just don't understand a personality disorder that is so seemingly functional. I know for me, people just always ended up thinking I was annoying for wanting to please everyone. And then they wouldn't like me, which would only perpetuate the issue. So, I hope that by raising awareness of BPD and perhaps shedding enough light on the topic for people to just ACCEPT US, maybe, just maybe, it'll be easier for people to get help.

Ironically, admitting that I have BPD has been something that really helped me start transcending my suffering into growth, compassion, and healing. It was in validating the fact that I am not BAD, but instead "just" have a condition that I need to learn how to effectively live with, that first made me realize that I didn't have to hate myself.

7 comments:

  1. Hi I just saw your blog and was wondering, were you diagnosed as having BPD or did you self-diagnose? 'Cause I've read the symptoms and been thinking about it for a while, and I identify with a lot of them, but I haven't been diagnosed or anything. I don't really want to be, I guess, I don't want the label. Have you got any advice for me? http://a-chocobo.blogspot.com/
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you be posting again soon? I recently ended a relationship with a bpd/bi-polar girlfriend, your BIOS have been very insightful

    ReplyDelete
  3. @A.Chocobo: I self-diagnosed, and when I began seeing a therapist, she confirmed that I had "bpd tendencies". I knew that she was hesitant to outwardly diagnose me, though, because of borderline's tendencies to attach to labels and immerse themselves as a single identity. Which is why I remind myself that I am not borderline, but I experience borderline moments. It helps me separate myself from it all...when you name bpd as your identity, it hinders you from being able to overcome it, or begin overcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Installer5: I post when I can. Are there any topics you'd like me to blog about, or questions you have for me? My sole purpose for this is to help others, and the more feedback I get the more I can blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Projecting onto others what the bpd really feels about themselves would be greatly appreciated, the extent of guilt and shame in the bpd,I know you are not the poster child for bpd, but your past situations that you blog about hit so close to my own with my ex, it gives me better insight as I read more and more about this condition, as well as I completely respect your brutal honesty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once I opened up to people about my bpd, I noticed that it was really helpful. Connecting to others with bpd and trying to explain to my family and friends what I am going through it sort of a catharsis. By opening up, someone shared with me a lot of great ways of coping with bpd symptoms that they found at http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-tdp. I hope others find this site just as helpful as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I am having one of those "undertow" moments of dark doubt, depression, anguish...all that good stuff. Your website has been a safe respite for a moment. A place where I have been reminded that I am more than what I have been diagnosed with. Reminded that I can get back into the work of transcending. So thank you for putting a beacon out there for the rest of us to see. I have been helped by your light.

    ReplyDelete